29 N Howell Street 517-437-7758

Hillsdale County Clerk

Marney Kast

Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Chief Deputy Clerk - Abe Dane

Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Telephone: (517) 437-3391
Fax: (517) 437-3392

Clerk Office Information

Hillsdale County Courthouse
29 N. Howell St.
Room 1
Hillsdale, MI 49242

8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
(Closed for Lunch
Noon - 1:00 p.m.)


Requiremements for a marriage license in Hillsdale County.

Office of County Clerk

Court House, Room #1
29 N Howell Street
Hillsdale, Michigan 49242

Phone: (517) 437-3391
Fax: (517) 437-3392

Fees for a Marriage License:

Marriage License: $20.00 (One party must be a resident in Hillsdale County)

Out of State Fee: $10.00 Additional charge - both parties are out of state residents, both must appear and the marriage must take place in Hillsdale County.

Three (3) day waiver fee: $30.00 (Not automatically allowed - only in extraordinary circumstances at discretion of the County Clerk.)

Things needed when applying for a Marriage License:

  • Photo Identification (Driver's License, state issued ID, or Passport)
  • Social Security Numbers (both of you)
  • Birth Certificate (if available)

We need to know the following information (for both of you), on an Affidavit for License to Marry:

  • Your complete names
  • Dates of birth
  • Complete addresses (including the County in which you reside, city and state of each applicant)
  • Your parents full names (including mother's maiden name)
  • States in which your parents were born
  • We will ask you if you have been married before and how many times


There is a three day waiting period after you apply before you can pick up your valid license. (A three day waiver form can be obtained for special circumstances.)

The marriage license is valid for 30 days after the three day waiting period. The signed license must be returned to the Clerk's office to be recorded within 10 days following your wedding.

You must apply within 33 days prior to your wedding date.

You must be 18 years old to be married and to sign as a witness for a marriage.

The County Clerk is required by law to provide each applicant with educational materials on the transmission and prevention of HIV and STIs.

If both of the couple are Hillsdale County residents, they must apply in Hillsdale County for their license but may get married anywhere in the State of Michigan. If one of the couple is a Hillsdale County resident and one is not, but both are residents of the state of Michigan, you may apply in Hillsdale County or in the county of the other, and be married anywhere in the state of Michigan. (You must apply for your license in the county where one of you resides. And it is best if both of you go to the Clerk's office together. At the least, the resident must be present to apply for the license.) If you are both from out of state, but plan to be married in Hillsdale County, then the out of state couple must both appear at the County Clerk's office to apply for a license.

If you change your last name, you should also file for a name change with Social Security.


(Updated August 11, 2023)