Residents Owning Dogs in Hillsdale County
Important Dates For Your Information
The State of Michigan and a Hillsdale County Ordinance requires that the owner of a dog that is four or more months old apply for a license. In the event that your dog is lost, the Hillsdale County Sheriff's Office has access to the County Treasurer's database of licensed dogs in the county. They can contact the proper owner as long as the address and phone number are up to date, and the dog is wearing a valid license issued by the County.
- A valid Rabies Certificate must be presented every year to be issued a license. (Paper copy required.)
- The Rabies vaccination must not be expired at the time of issuing the license.
- Licenses may be renewed by mail or in person. When renewing by mail, please include a copy of the Rabies Certificate, check or money order payable to Hillsdale County Treasurer, and a self-addressed stamped envelope.
- The cost of the licenses for all dogs 4 months or older: December 1- March 1: Female $15.00; Male $15.00; Unsexed $10.00. On March 2nd, all prices double.
- Service Dogs (this category does NOT include support dogs) can receive a tag at $0.00 however, proof is required.
- Licenses must be purchased within 30 days of relocating to Hillsdale County or receiving the rabies vaccine for a new puppy.
- If you move or change your phone number please call our office at 517-437-4700 to update our records.
- Kennel Licenses must be approved by the Sheriff's Office before the Treasurer may issue the license. Kennel licenses must be purchased in person. Cost is $35.00 for up to 10 dogs; or over 10 dogs is $70.00.
Hillsdale County Treasurer